Friday, August 07, 2015

New Louder single!

When I reviewed that Car Crash 7" a few weeks back, I talked about how a lot of the newer Japanese garage punk bands have been leaning in a power pop direction. Even though I'm a big power pop guy, I tend to be a purist when it comes to garage punk. My sweet spot is that trashy lo-fi '90s sound by way of The Damned, Stooges, etc. I like speed, fury, and minimal musicianship. So I get really pumped when I hear bands like Car Crash and The Raydios representing for Japan in the old school fashion. Not so coincidentally, both of those bands have done releases with Secret Mission Records. And so has Louder - whose latest release is a killer 7" out on Secret Mission. "Tear Me Up" is the A-side, and it's totally what I'm into. I'm talking really catchy '70s style punk in the classic style. No doubt, the band lives up to its name with guitars that will knock your head off. But there are hooks all over the place. Moving things in a less melodic direction, B-side cut "So Alone" is a straight-up scorcher that brings to mind that glorious heyday of Japanese garage punk. It's fast, ferocious, and over before you even know what hit you. If you dug Louder's excellent LP on Sorry State Records, this single will give you more of what you crave. And if you've yet to hear Louder, this is a great place to start!



-L.R.

http://secretmissionrecords.com/ 
https://www.facebook.com/secretmissionrecords 

No comments: